You can hardly walk outdoors without hearing a wail that the news business is dying… or being reinvented — without money.
The possibility of a world without MSM (mainstream media) may seem distressing, but other organisms seem to be moving into its place. We’ve had calls about NowPublic.com and hyperlocal news; we haven’t talked about Spot.us and other new ventures.
- How long will today’s mainstream news enterprises last?
- What is replacing them? What seems to work these days? What’s missing?
- How might we envision a news environment of the future?
Here are some articles and posts about the future of news:
- Crowd Funding: A Different Way to Pay for the News You Want (NYT)
- What Would Micropayments Do for Journalism? (Freakonomics; read Clay’s response)
- The Day the Newspaper Died (New Yorker)
- Facebook and Twitter Are Reshaping Journalism As We Know It (Rory O’Connor)