Was Fukuyama wrong? History does move on implacably.
The current recession might last a couple of years, or it might last a decade or even lead to social and economic collapse.
- How long will the subprime crisis last?
- Can we substantially avoid the consequences of global warming?
- What do the various models have in common?
- What causes powerful nations to bite the dust? Ecosystems?
- Which theories do you believe? Why?
I know. Thirty minutes doesn’t seem like much time for this. If this one goes well, we’ll revisit the topic, but not so often that we all need Zoloft. Meanwhile, here’s a reading list on boom-bust-collapse dynamics and accompanying theories:
- The Five Stages of Collapse, by Dmitry Orlov (speaking in SF on Friday Feb. 13!)
- Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed, by Jared Diamond
- The Collapse of Complex Societies, by Joseph Tainter
- Kondratief Waves
- Technological Revolutions and Financial Capital, by Carlota Perez
- Punctuated Equilibrium
- Peak Oil
- what else? add it here or send me email